The NEMAA blog is a platform for us to share our members work and their stories, and a hub for information about the NEMAA community.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Art-A-Whirl & Artist Directory Team

It takes a village – of mostly volunteers including board members, a small diligent staff, a few professional contract workers, and some awesome interns – to coordinate and support Art-A-Whirl and our annual Artist Directory & Guide! This year, I am so fortunate to work with the wonderful individuals listed below on the Art-A-Whirl and Directory team, along with a few featured volunteers who go above and beyond. I would also like to extend a special thank you to our very dedicated NEMAA Board members.  In addition, we rely on over 150 volunteers every year to help with our Art-A-Whirl Silent Auction, information booths, and more, and we can’t thank you enough for the time, energy, and enthusiasm you contribute to Art-A-Whirl.
Thank you all so very much! Here’s to a successful Art-A-Whirl!
Best,
Alejandra Pelinka, NEMAA Executive Director
Photo of Alejandra Pelinka










Anna Becker
NEMAA Office Assistant/Development Associate
Anna has a background in ceramics, and lately has been working on tile projects for her own home. Her favorite aspect of Art-A-Whirl is walking into a studio or gallery and discovering an artist whose work speaks to her. Perhaps she can afford to purchase a piece then and there, or maybe she will save up her money so that someday she can call a great work of art her own. In either case, she follows artists' careers with interest, tells her friends and family about them, and revisits their studio again and again.



Kate O’Reilly
NEMAA Marketing Coordinator
Kate lives, eats, breathes and loves Northeast Minneapolis. A writer and marketing pro, she helps with promotions and communications at NEMAA. She resides with her partner and children in the Audubon Park neighborhood and is excited to ride the trolley to see as many demonstrations as possible during Art-A-Whirl weekend.


Marilyn Miller
Artist Directory & Guide – Advertising Coordinator
It is great to blend my passion of advertising, publishing, sales & the arts when working on the NEMAA Artist Directory. I appreciate being part of this project with NEMAA and working with the vibrant NE community. The wonderful thing about Art-A-Whirl is the unique opportunity to meet the artists, see their studios and find that treasured artwork to take home.


Joan Nygren
Artist Directory & Guide – Graphic Designer
When I was growing up in Minneapolis during the fifties and sixties, there were just a few art galleries and artists. Most knew each other. In general, we were considered misfits and disrespected. Today’s strong art-community, hundreds of artists and art studios, with the incredible diversity of work, is way beyond what I could have ever dreamed — a rare gift for all of us. I’m grateful to be here, now.


Heidi FitzGerald
Artist Directory & Guide - Editor
Heidi FitzGerald is a freelance editor (www.infocusediting.com), optioned screenwriter and playwright.  Her creative works have been presented across the nation and she continues to develop new works for stage and screen.  She loves Art-A-Whirl because of the opportunities it gives both patron and artist to appreciate and support one another face-to-face.


Ben Walytka
Artist Directory & Guide - Proofer
Graphic Designer at Bolger. BFA Graphic Design University of MN Duluth. This is my second year working with NEMAA pre-flighting the ads for the directory. I enjoy working with the NEMAA staff and meeting all the great artists at the proofing session. Looking forward to 2016....



Kathy DeKrey

Art-A-Whirl Volunteer Coordinator
Kathy, a resident of Minneapolis for the last 8 years, is an active lover of the Minneapolis Arts community. She enjoys helping get folks from all backgrounds interested and involved in creative expressions. She is really excited to join the Art-A-Whirl team to continue her passion of getting more people involved in the arts, as well as helping to grow the reach of one of her favorite art events.


Madison Elyse Rubenstein
Art-A-Whirl Silent Auction Installation Coordinator
I’m a painter and printmaker currently living in South Minneapolis. I truly enjoy working with NEMAA- they are an awesome organization filled with some of the hardest working people I know. I’m excited for Art-A-Whirl because of the opportunity to connect and share experiences with tons of amazing artists and supporters. I will be a guest artist in Hilary Greenstein’s studio at the California building, 206a during Art-A-Whirl. 



Kaylee Weycker
Art-A-Whirl Silent Auction Coordinator Intern
My name is Kaylee and I'm a junior at the University of St. Thomas. I'm the captain of the women's rugby team and the Vice President of Professional Activities for my professional business fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi. I have a rescue dog named Dorothy and love to travel.
I'm very excited for everyone to see the incredible talent in the pieces that some NEMAA artists have contributed to the silent auction this year! This is my first time working with Art-A-Whirl and it has been an amazing experience. 



Michael “Bear” Meyer
Volunteer –  Art-A-Whirl Trolley Guide
Retired from 42 year career in the music industry. Two adult children and two grandchildren. Hobbies include travel, wood working, landscaping and volunteer activities. This will be my third year as a volunteer Art-A-Whirl conductor on Trolly #1. 

As a conductor my job is to get our guests, along our route, on and off the trolley safely and to their destination. I also provide tips on what locations they might want to check out especially to those who are first timers, and, where the food and bathrooms are located. I enjoy this position as you get to meet our guests face to face and have a lot of fun with them. 

I have fun dressing the part including renting a wonderful Passenger Agent cap from The Guthrie Costume rental shop which they now refer to as the Art-A-Whirl cap. 

My “all aboard” is getting pretty good and I try to get our young passengers to help me shout it out. The atmosphere of Art-A-Whirl is festive and fun. And, you also get to meet many of our great volunteers and staff. A great way to spend a weekend while supporting the arts. 


Emma Welter
Volunteer – On-Call Art-A-Whirl Volunteer
I live in Minneapolis and work for Old Tom Foolery, a local greeting card company; I'm also a freelance proofreader with various creative projects on the side. Although I'm a Minnesota native, my introduction to Art-A-Whirl came only after I returned from five years living and studying in England, and it was one of many events that reaffirmed for me how uniquely innovative and welcoming Minneapolis is. The contagious enthusiasm among artists and attendees alike is my favorite aspect of Art-A-Whirl – it's like the State Fair without all the grease and with less risk of a nasty sunburn. I can't wait to be a part of it this year by helping out as the On-Call Volunteer.


Marnie Erpestad
Volunteer – Artist Directory Distribution
I am a photographer from Minneapolis. I take black and white photographs of everyday objects as a means of investigating human relationships. I love the way Art-A-Whirl unites people and strengthens the community through shared enthusiasm for the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment